Friday, March 22, 2013


Do We Need Another Hero?
Hey ladies, and guys if you are reading my blog. I have been pondering something for a while. So, we love Tina Turner and her music but, this isn’t about that never aging beauty. Years ago she made a song for a movie and the gist of the song was that heroes were no longer needed, or at the least no more were needed. I disagree.

Now, I may be about to do that TMI thing and tell you a little bit more about me than you really want to know but hey, it is what it is – so here goes.

I have come to the realization that a therapist would probably tell me that I have daddy issues and I would disagree. My stepfather was the best daddy any girl could want or have. He is tall, handsome, smart, could fix on cars, air conditioners, lawn mowers or whatever.  He loves deeply and has always been a source of good advice. The man was a super provider and I never, ever worried about anyone causing me harm because I knew Daddy Vern would handle it. In essence, he is my hero and I don’t have daddy issues. But, what has brought me to the realization is the types of books I read, television shows I watch, music I like and men I find attractive - whether they are good looking or ogres.  I like strong, bold men who are not afraid to take a stand or take charge.
Let me give you an example. If you ever watched the show “The Last Resort” you will remember the actor Andre Baugher who is by no means what I would call good looking. Yet, I found him immensely attractive in Resort. He was a strong, take charge, intelligent Black man who didn’t take any mess. He was my hero for that season. And, let’s look at my choices of novels: spy, detective, etc…. Mitch Rapp is one of my fiction heroes. He isn’t Black, too bad, but he is a man who can kick terrorists behind in short order.

Okay, you get where I’m going so back to Ms. Tina’s song – us and needing another hero. I will speak for myself: I need, want and will accept into my life another HERO! Yes, I have a certain look in mind but I am a Marvelously Mature woman who is not confused – good looks are fine, but a brother who can hold his own is freakinghot! A man who can appreciate a strong woman by letting her be strong because he knows who he is.  Gurrllll that makes me want to use words like supercilious as though it were a positive descriptive word.
I know I’m a piece of work – hell, I’m work. And any man coming my way needs to have his ego in order. Not that I would denigrate it, but he certainly doesn’t need to be overly sensitive to that strong woman vibe that lives here…to be continued

I gots more to say but I would love to hear from you. Care to share what you think about us needing another hero?

4 comments:

  1. Heck yes we need Heroes!!! Love the insight & agree with the observation....Heroes are personal to us...the best daddy ever, the best uncle...brother, son husband...And yes, "sheroes" count too! Love the Blog!

    Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dee, and I agree - heroes are personal to us even if they aren't related by blood. And please know this - I won't ever forget that "sheroes" count.

      Delete
  2. We can ALWAYS use more HEROES! Some change, die, are forgotten. Some were for another time and place. I agree about Andre Baugher. Then there’s the good looking piece of work…at least he was back in the day…Giancarlo Esposito (Spanish sounding name, born in Copenhagen, Denmark, father Italian, mother African American…but like the PREZ, considered BLACK!) Anyway, don’t like his scraping and bowing character to a young white man in THE REVOLUTION…JUST SAYIN!

    I recently read an article in CHRISTIANITY TODAY saying we shouldn’t look at Biblical characters as heroes. Here is my response:
    I disagree. We need heroes other than “Superheroes”, rap stars, sports jocks, immoral celebs, etc. Not to say all the Bible Heroes were “Angels”…no they were human, so we need some HUMAN HEROES. Look at the HEROES OF FAITH mentioned in Hebrews 11. All had failures, because they were human, but yet they show us we can still have faith in God, which is the goal of Christianity. And look at David…murderer, adulterer and yet the Bible says he was a MAN AFTER GOD’S OWN HEART. Solomon had 700 wives and 300 concubines, who worshiped STRANGE GODS (and we know there’s something wrong with that picture); yet the Bible states he was the wisest king that ever lived. So, let’s have Biblical Heroes and learn what it was that God loved about them.

    Speaking of Heroes, Check this out!:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeuGjja8p50



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Readywriter, gurrrrl I know what you mean. This brother has played some tenacious roles (Esposito)and I have never seen him in one like this. I can't say I am a fan of his other characters, but at the least he was a strong brother. Oh yeah, and thanks for the bibilical lesson on heroes. I'm going to check out Youtube.

      Delete